Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday is for Fish--Mahi Mahi with basil butter

Mahi Mahi photo at FreshFishSource.blogspot.com


I have such a wonderful man!! He had to run some errands today and he ended up right by the White River Fish Market at 1708 North Sheridan in Tulsa. So of course being the lover of foods that we are, he went in and brought us home a beautiful (and very large), Mahi Mahi filet! It was about lunch time and he just got off work, so I found a quick recipe on Food Network and it took almost no time to whip up! This is seriously one of my new favorite recipes! You know when you cook fish in the house, and it leaves that "I just cooked fish" smell?? Well, this recipe didn't have that smell...it smelled like basil, and garlic and butter! Yum Yum Yum!!! So here is all we did to make this absolutely wonderful Mahi Mahi dish!

We started with a very large filet cut and removed the "skin" off the fish! We actually had to cut it into about 3 sections it was so large. In a small sauce pot I added 3 tablespoons of butter, a shake or two of salt and pepper, one large garlic clove minced and I didn't have fresh basil so I added dried basil to the recipe. I actually used less than it called for since we were using dried basil and probably added 4 shakes to the pot! (I say shakes because I took the container and shook it over the pot). I turned the burner on low and added a lid to keep it covered and let the butter melt, stirring it every so often. In a large skillet, I added 3 tablespoons of olive oil and warmed it over medium/high heat. We salt and peppered both sides of the fish, and added them to the skillet. The recipe says 3 minutes on one side and 3-4 minutes on the other. Ours took quite a bit longer because it was cut so thick. So we turned it every 3-4 minutes until the fish was white and flaky all the way through. After the fish was finished we put it on a plate and poured the basil-garlic butter over the top of the fish.
 Soaking up that garlic-basil butter!! YUMMY
The rest of the fish is history! It was so delicious and made a very light, flavorful lunch! If you're wondering here is some nutritional information on Mahi Mahi that you can find on Livestrong.com. The only thing we had to purchase for this meal was the fish, everything else was in the fridge, so for $13 we got a lunch that would cost an arm and leg at a restaurant for cheap! Made my day!!! 
Can't wait to make this again!!!

~Happy Eating~
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment