Wednesday, June 6, 2012

pistachio pesto

Did I mention that I have a crush on basil? I do. I have to make myself NOT buy the $2 bouquets each weekend at the farmers market because, well, how much basil can you really eat? I know there are tips and tricks about freezing it and drying it and yadda yadda. For $2 I’ll use as much as I like and not feel guilty about what wilts away.

When you do find yourself with a lovely mess of basil, please, make pesto. Do you like pesto? Bright basil, crunchy/creamy pine nuts, GARLIC and salty cheese. Nommers. I’ve tried some of the more out there versions like spinach or parsley pesto but traditional basil pesto is where my heart is. I have had success subbing walnuts or pecans for pine nuts. And that’s what we’re doing today—pistachio pesto.
My current favorite pizza place, Andolinis, has this on their menu. It’s quite popular and they made it on a local TV morning show so I feel like ripping it off is totally allowed. You can view the video HERE.
Pesto sounds fancy but 1) you throw a bunch of stuff in a food processor = not fancy and 2) I think it’s very versatile so make it fancy or not fancy when using the finished product. We’ll discuss some options when we’re done.
TO THE PESTO!
Combine about two packed cups (2 giant handfuls) of fresh basil leaves with your nut of choice (pistachios today) in a blender or food processor. I prefer food processor.

Blend them until very fine, like this:

Add Parmesan cheese, some olive oil, salt, and garlic cloves---process again until all ingredients are combined. Stop the food processor. Take a whiff. Sigh with delight. You’re done.
Now, you need something to smear this pesto on. I adore Pioneer Womans pizza dough recipe. I fail at most things yeast so the fact that time after time this dough rises then bakes up crisp is miraculous. Note that you need at least one to two hours for it to rise so plan ahead. Alternatively, you can make the dough days before you need it, even freeze it. I've listed the ingredients and steps below.

With your easy dough, roll out the amount you want. Decorate your pizza. Here we have half for kiddo who prefers tomato and half for mommy who prefers garlic. All of the garlic. I topped it simply with mozzarella cheese. Bake it up.


Cheesy delish.






A grown up, pesto only pizza.

I took the suggestion of the Andolini’s video and added crushed San Marzano tomatoes to the finished pizza and I’m glad I did. It added nice flavor to an already great tasting pie. They know what they’re doing. Go see them soon. And make your own pesto soon.

A few other things to do with pesto:
Smear it on hot toasted bread. Top with a fried or poached egg and a sprinkle of crushed red peppers. I did this. Yum.
Top baked fish or chicken.
Combine it with heavy cream and butter (healthy, no?) for this Pioneer Woman pasta with pesto cream sauce. I did this. I licked the plate.
Eat with a spoon. I did this. Shhh.
Make these parmesan roasted green beans. Toss with some pesto while still hot. I did this. Will do again.
Top a baked potato.

Pioneer Woman’s pizza crust
  • 1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast
  • 4 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm (not lukewarm) water.
In a mixer, combine flour and salt. With the mixer running on low speed (with paddle attachment), drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour. Next, pour in yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined.

Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you need it. ***It's best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better. Cook 500 degrees about 10 minutes.


Andolini’s pistachio pesto, slightly adapted
• 1oz  Basil Leaves (I used two handfuls)
• half cup Pistachios
• 3/4 cups Olive Oil
 • 1/4 Cup Parmesan (I used ½ cup)
• 1/4 Teaspoon salt(or more to taste)
 • 1/2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic (I like 2 or 3 cloves)

Add basil and pistachios to blender or food processor.
Blend them to a fine grain  (kernels of nuts should not be visible, if they are blend more).
Add Parm, olive oil, salt, and garlic to food processor. Blend them to a fine paste.

2 comments:

  1. I love Pioneer Woman's pizza dough for the same reason-it works every time!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this, looks so good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete