Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A quick shrimp and rice lunch plate

Alright, I'm not a professional chef by any means and normally it is hit and miss (more miss than hit) when I get in the kitchen and try to create something new. However, this time around I made a quick lunch for us before we headed out to the lake and it was great! So I'm going to share it with you and you can tell me what you think! Deal?!

I started with one bag of shrimp (I believe it was large sized) and heated up about a half of stick of butter in a skillet. While that was simmering in the skillet, I chopped up a couple green onions and minced two cloves of garlic and threw it in the pan. I cut a lemon in half and squeezed the juice all over the shrimp. While that was simmering and smelling great, I did a run through of my spice cabinet and decided to go with red pepper/cayenne pepper. I added a couple dashes (by dashes I mean I shook the spices over the shrimp twice). When I make this again, I will probably add more than a couple dashes because it was hardly spicy at all.

I left that on low and went to work looking for a side. I was excited to find that I still had an asparagus bundle in my fridge so I cleaned them up, cut the ends off and tossed them in another skillet. I added maybe a tablespoon or two of butter and a dash of kosher salt. I threw in a couple dashes of onion salt and garlic powder and let it simmer until the asparagus was warmed through.
Now to top it off, I made some white rice while the shrimp and asparagus stayed on low heat and then served the shrimp on top of a bed of rice (whole grain rice would be great too, I just didn't have the time to wait on it to cook). This was incredibly delicious, super easy and kept me satisfied until dinner time!
Hope ya'll enjoy this new recipe and let me know if you try it! I always like to hear back about the things we cook up!

~Happy Cooking~

No comments:

Post a Comment