Friday, June 8, 2012

vanilla ice cream with roasted peaches and amaretto caramel

Sometimes I get a flavor stuck in my head. Do you do that? Like, all I can think about is basil. How I’m going to use it. Recently, it was peaches. I wasn’t even thinking about peaches. It’s a little early for them. But there I was, wandering the farmers market and one vendor was selling fresh, fragrant summer peaches. I grabbed some right away. The drive home became about what I’d do with them….other than snack on them as is. Peaches. Mmmmm….
I’ve seen a lot of recipes for roasted strawberries lately. Roasting veggies and fruits under high heat brings out their natural sweetness and makes everything from pineapple to carrots even tastier. Sprinkle a little sugar on the fruit and a little salt and olive oil on the veggies first---even better.
Now, roasting peaches was in my head. Roasted peach ice cream sounded divine. But I’m a vanilla girl. I like the blank canvas of vanilla to top and swirl in whatever toppings I feel like that day (might I suggest frosted flakes, chocolate chips and Hersey’s chocolate syrup?). So vanilla ice cream topped with roasted peaches and……I remembered a Giada recipe where she sprinkled crunched up amaretti cookies on something peach. Cookies for crunch? No. CARAMEL! I needed a drizzle of caramel on top of this imaginary sundae. Booze it up with amaretto. Chopped up peanuts for a salty crunch?
PSA: This, my friends, was an actual thought process that went through my head during a ten minute drive. Associate with me as you will.
Normal person decision:Buy ice cream. Chop up peaches. Put on ice cream. Top with jar of store bought caramel. The end.
Leah’s mind: LET’S DO THIS!
Best thing about making your own ice cream? These five ingredients plus some sugar is all you need. Milk, heavy cream, egg yolks and sugar make custard based ice cream. Low fat and practically calorie free. (*snicker*)

I used the beloved David Lebovitz’s recipe from his beautiful book The Perfect Scoop (see recipe below). It isn’t difficult but there is some stirring, heating and tempering of the egg and cream mixture. I suggest distracting any littles with an activity so you have full attention to your custard making. Clean out mommy’s purse, anyone?

After some chill time and a brief spin in the ice cream maker—voila! Creamy, perfect vanilla ice cream. I’d stop right here but….those peaches are calling.



Simply slice them up, toss with a little brown sugar and bake at about 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so.


Making caramel sounds scary. It isn’t, but it does need your attention. No texting while carameling. Melt some butter.

Stir in sugar. I went brown here for a deeper flavor. Stir on medium heat to combine. At this point I stirred in two tablespoons of amaretto for an almond, and ok, boozy kick. You’ll cook the actual alcohol out but you are left with a hint of  “oh, this is adult caramel we’re having here.”

Stir in some heavy cream. It will bubble up a bit. This is because it is so happy. Turn of the heat and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly and thicken.


I chopped up some peanuts I randomly had on hand for some texture and a salty balance to all that sweet.


Pile these goodies together. Now all you need is a spoon.

Oh, and the recipes. Try mixing in your favorite flavors to this ice cream base. Rum would be good in the caramel or a few pinches of salt at the end. Try roasting apricots, pineapple, or berries. Cooking is about doing your own thing. (Note: baking is not. Be vewwy, vewwy afraid of baking) (I kid) (Kind of)
Vanilla Ice Cream
From David Lebovitz, The Perfect Scoop
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise (I omitted)
  • 6 large egg yolks (save the whites for an omelet or to make your own pavlova)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
  1. Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream, and salt in a medium saucepan.  Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the warm milk and add the bean into the warm milk and add the bean as well.  Cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  2. Pour the remaining 1 cup cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.  In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.  Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
  3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.  Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream.  Put the vanilla bean into the custard, add the vanilla extract, and stir until cool over an ice bath.
  4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.  When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean, rinsing and reserving it for another use, and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Roasted peaches
·         3-5 fresh peaches, sliced
·         1 tablespoon brown sugar
Set oven to 400 degrees.
1.     Toss peaches and brown sugar to combine
2.     Roast for 20 minutes.

Amaretto caramel sauce
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons amaretto
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
1.     Melt the butter in a small saucepan over high heat
2.     Add the brown sugar and amaretto and cook, whisking until the sugar has melted and the mixture is smooth.
3.     Whisk in the heavy cream and cook until heated through and slightly thickened.
4.     Transfer the mixture to a bowl, let cool slightly.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I want to make this ASAP!! Love the step by step instructions with pics.

    ReplyDelete