Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chicken and Rice Soup

I got a wonderful late Christmas gift from my mom the other day, which was a handwritten recipe book of some our family's favorite recipes! I was so excited to start cooking from it, and by the very next day we had chicken and rice soup for dinner! This recipe says, "Betty Hamilton's chicken and rice soup". Betty is a dear neighbor friend of my families! The first house they ever bought in Broken Arrow, Betty was their neighbor (I wasn't born at this time). Later, when I was in my 20's they moved back to the same house, and Betty was still there! She is such a sweet lady, and we absolutely loved her soup recipe! So let's get started on it!

Here is the recipe page with my mom's handwriting

Ingredients
32 oz Chicken Broth (more if needed...We FOR SURE needed more)
1 c chopped onion
2 c chopped celery
1 c grated carrots
1 c cooked rice (She prefers brown, or long grain and wild rice--we used long grain & wild)
1/4 tsp Cavender's Greek seasoning
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
black pepper to taste
finely chopped cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 cups)

All you need to do is combine all these ingredients together (except for the chicken) until the veggies are tender and the rice is done. During the cooking time our rice about soaked up ALL of the chicken broth, I just added more until we had a desired consistency. Once everything is done, just add the chicken, and serve! It is truly THAT easy to make this soup! I'm not sure if it was the Greek seasoning, or the poultry seasoning, but it had a little spicy "kick" to it! Absolutely a wonderful and easy recipe! 

This is the Greek seasoning you're going to look for! At our Wal-Mart it was near the bottom with all the spices! I always like pictures of spices I'm going to hunt down because the sea of spices can get overwhelming!

This is the box of rice we got! It takes the whole box to make one cup! Cooking time is about 30-40 minutes! Keep a watch on it so you can add more broth accordingly!

Here it all is put together! YUM!

Stay tuned for a Swiss steak recipe from my Mema in the next couple days! 
Until then...

~Happy Eating~









No comments:

Post a Comment