Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I've Got Fishing Fever

Well, I've got the fishing fever! The weather has been warm here for the most part, take away the 20 mph wind gusts and we'd have some perfect fishing weather! DJ and I have decided that we needed to start getting some of our fish filets out of the freezer so we can make room for more! My niece has been begging me to go out fishing and help her bring in the big one! We took her fishing the first time last summer and she out-fished us and reeled in 15+ tiny sun fish all day! Now she's ready for the bigger fish! We thawed out some large mouth bass, and got to work on our own fish fry! That is one way to my heart! Take me fishing, let's fry up our catch and enjoy the company and outdoors--PERFECT DAY! So I'm going to share a homemade dipping sauce I made to along with our bass (the breading we used was store bought, but I have a recipe if you just want to do it yourself! Here's a little song by one of my favorites, Taj Mahal, about the fishing blues! Let's get started!!


Ingredients for tangy dipping sauce
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c Franks Red Hot Sauce
2 TB Horseradish (or spicy mustard...we used horseradish)
2 TB minced parsley (I used about 1 1/2)

You can find the recipe for the dipping sauce and breading for the fish at Frenchs.com

To make the sauce, all you need to do is mix all those ingredients together, cover and chill in the fridge until you're ready to use it!



To bread the fish, we mixed milk and one egg (probably a cup or two of milk), and then put the fish fry in a separate bowl. You'll want to coat the fish in the liquid mixture and then shake the fish fry onto each piece! We used one of our Tupperware bowls with a lid and it worked great! This is the fish fry we used!!


Once you have your pieces coated you want to make sure that your oil is hot enough to fry! We have a small fryer (Cool Daddy Elite) which is a perfect size for a couple of people! I highly recommend getting one if you like to do this sort of thing! 

Fish right out of the fryer! Looks like someone already took a bite ;)

Here it is all said and done! Sauce, fish and we whipped up a pasta side to go with it! 
Utterly delicious!! 

Fishing was always a part of my family! My Papa was the fisherman, and was always taking us fishing! I still love to go out fishing and think about him often when I'm out there! I know he's up there cheering me on when I reel in the big ones (and little ones)! I had such a great example growing up! So happy that I get to carry on his fishing legacy! It's in that way, I can still feel him with me. If you happen to not have a fisherman in the family, you can always go to the store and buy some fresh fish to use! My favorite place close by for fresh fish is always Reasors! They have always had a good selection, and everything looks delicious over in the meat section! Stay tuned for a yummy pasta dish! Until then....

~Happy Eating~



No comments:

Post a Comment